Sunday, January 6, 2008

Yep, it is a small world...

And Miss Prothero's Books is waiting for it to get smaller.

I was visited recently by Ted Engelmann. I didn't know him from Adam. He only knew me from my bookstore and the altered book project that Nancy Missbach and I had undertaken last October. We talked about book arts and book artists. Somewhere in that discussion, Engelmann looked up and saw my old One Book, One Denver poster advertising Nick Arvin's Articles of War. That's when I learned Engelmann was a Vietnam vet and the Vietnam vet responsible for getting the diary of Dang Thuy Tram back into the hands of her family. Engelmann mused on the complications of war. He noted that while he was in the South directing air strikes, she was in the North stitching soldiers together.

Small world. We just don't think about how small it is.

Engelmann will be doing a public slide program, "A Soldier's Heart from Viet Nam to Iraq," on Sunday, January 13th at 11 a.m. at the Cameron United Methodist Church, 1600 S. Pearl Street in Denver. It's bound to be interesting. I'm not going to be able to make it, but I hope you can go for me.

If all goes well, I may get Engelmann to come to Miss P's and talk about Dang Thuy Tram's diary. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: