Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Knowing My Place

Call me a mutt. Born in Colorado, raised in the suburbs of Denver, with an English last name, a Polish peasant's body, Irish eyes, a west Missouri drawl pouring in one ear, and a midwestern twang sliding out of my only mouth -- you could say I'm too much of everything to be really much of anything. Believe it or not, I sometimes envy women who have to wear burkas. At least they some sort of stamp, boundary, and culture to contain them, some wall to tear down or cherish and build higher.

If any culture contains me, it's the culture of acquisition and consumption. I am defined by what I have, not by who I am. Who am I?

Miss Prothero's Books will be hosting poet Ramon Del Castillo Friday the 11th at 6:30 p.m. I'm looking forward to it. I think I have something to learn from him. His is a poetry of identity -- identity lost, stolen, strayed, found, and returned. It's a poetry of place and pride. If you're in Denver, please stop by for the reading. We're at 1112 N. Santa Fe Drive.

--NW

No comments: