Tuesday, December 11, 2007

No Shopocalypse Here

Holy blogelujah! I just heard a rumor that Reverend Billy was made in China.

I don't know how I feel about the reverend's stop shopping message. Who's hearing his message? Those who have money to spend. It's like the local/organic food movement...a fine movement for those who can afford it. The rest of us can only afford the cheap conveniences, the fruits of shopping sin. Reverend Billy doesn't present a solution to the problem. His religion only seems to make things worse. Paychecks get smaller. The rich stay rich. The poor stay in debt. Paradigms never shift.

Believe it or not, I've witnessed Reverend Billy's power. One of my very good friends is always reminding me that she doesn't buy books. I've given up reminding her that my books are not new, recycled, reused. Stuff is stuff, she says, so I'm left out in the cold.

Bah. Humbug.

What would Jesus buy? Probably a very nice book on Zen or that Jimmy Carter book in the buck bin.

No comments: