Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Bulldog of God

The Whodunnit Club had its mystery dinner, and a good time was had by all...I think. Colleen Bryan, who played murderer Jean Leapfrog, was very good at obfuscating and turning the table. Junior Detective Scooter Scoff, played by me, would never get a confession out of her. Hank "Hillie" Snitzen (Patrick Caldwell) had a fine, oily accent. Who couldn't he manipulate with such mellifluousness? Beth Neva had the part of the alcoholic bookkeeper Cindy Grimes down pat. She also had a major clue which she played with perfect timing.

But my hands-down favorite was Ellen Cahill. She played Sister Ellen Akunin. She called herself the Bulldog of God and shook her fists at the skies. Ellen not only obfuscated, she embroidered and embellished. She brought my little monster of a drama to life.

If I write another mystery dinner, I shall limit the number of red herrings, try not to complicate the characters so badly, and, of course, I'll have to invite Ellen. Where would I be without the Bulldog of God?

No comments: