Sunday, October 28, 2007

Dylan Thomas's Birthday Has Come and Gone

It was Dylan Thomas's birthday Saturday. I spent too much time fussing around trying to figure out a Dylan Thomas quote of the day for the sandwich board. I liked --

When one burns one's bridges, what a very nice fire it makes.

(And if one burns one's books?)

I also liked --

An alcoholic is someone you don't like who drinks as much as you do.

(That one helps me put the liquor store across the street into perspective.)

I really liked --

The function of posterity is to look after itself.

This one helped me get over my missprotherosbooks.com blues. Let the Internet look after itself. I need to look after this bookstore day by day, customer by customer, writer by poet, reader by reader. After all, I don't have exclusive rights to the Prothero name. There are thousands of people in Wales who have a stronger right. There is even a zine publisher and book dealer in West Denver who has a stronger right. (Stevyn Prothero's bookstore on West 38th is called Iron Feather.)

While I'm looking after things, I wanted to write a quick note about Robert Slentz-Kessler. He's a young writer who cannot and should not be ignored. His first novel -- Sylvia, Rachel, Meredith, Anna -- touches on memory, music and Fort Benning. I have copies in the store and in my biblio.com listings. You can also order a copy through Thatcher Forest Publishing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention and the link-love!

Nan Wigington said...

De nada. I shoulda oughta done it a long time ago.