Saturday, June 16, 2007

Re-Joyce! It's Bloomsday!

The first time I read it, I was too young for it. James Joyce's Ulysses is not for your average high schooler, and it wasn't for me. I couldn't follow Bloom or Stephen and didn't know why I should. On the 100th anniversary (2004) of Leopold Bloom's immortal walk about the streets of London, I bought Don Gifford's Ulysses Annotated and tried again. I was rewarded with a year of delightful reading. I told myself that when I turned 50, I'd go to Dublin on June 16 and wander the streets just like Leopold.

Well, I'm 50. I didn't make it to Dublin. I opened a bookstore instead.

Miss Prothero's Books will host a private celebration tonight. Gorgonzola cheese sandwiches are on the menu. We'll play a game called "Molly's Mind". The loser will have to read a passage from...you guessed it...Ulysses.

If you're interested in starting your own Joyce odyssey, we have a like new copy of Dubliners. We've also just listed an acceptable copy of The Joyce of Cooking (Inventory # MSSP06744) and a good copy of Ulysses (Inventory # MSSP06743). You should be able to find both of these books in our online inventory by tomorrow morning. If you're in the Denver area, you can stop by and take a look or give us a call at 303-572-2260.

Thanks be to Michael Carr for the wonderful Re-Joyce pun.

No comments: